Hydrocodone - A Pain-Relieving Drug
Your doctor will prescribe you Hydrocodone to relieve any of the following:
- any muscle pain
- back pain
- pain in the lower back
Hydrocodone is a member of drugs known as opiate or narcotic analgesics. It works on the brain and nervous system in such a way that it changes their response to pain to provide relief from pain. HYDROCODONE 10/325
Hydrocodone and its availability
Hydrocodone is available in various forms. The medicine was approved for sale in the United States in 1943, by the Food and Drug Administration. You can get it in the form of an extended-release tablet and an extended-release capsule to be taken orally. The extended-release pill is to be taken once every 12 hours, and the extended-release tablet can be taken once per day.
Ensure that you take this drug at around the same time every day and take it as prescribed by your doctor. The doctor will start the treatment with a low dose of this medicine and may gradually increase the dose if needed.
You can take this drug by swallowing the extended-release capsules or tablets with water. You can buy Hydrocodone online as well as from any local drug store. Make sure you buy genuine Hydrocodone 10/325mg.
Do not stop taking Hydrocodone without your doctor's consultation. On abruptly halting the consumption of Hydrocodone may cause several withdrawal symptoms. These may include symptoms like weakness, sweating, anxiety, vomiting, restlessness, teary eyes, nausea, stomach cramps, runny nose, chills, yawning, back pain, muscle pain, joint pain, widened eyes pupils, irritability, diarrhoea, behavioural change, staying asleep, loss of appetite, difficulty falling asleep, fast breathing or fast heartbeat. If the patient notices any of the mentioned symptoms, you would need your doctor's immediate attention.
Precautions To Be Followed While Using Hydrocodone
Before taking this medicine, you must take the following precautions:
- Avoid taking Hydrocodone if you are allergic to it, any of its ingredients or similar drugs
- You should also inform your doctor in case you take any prescription, non-prescription medicines, vitamins, nutritional supplements, or herbal products, especially St. John's wort and tryptophan.
- Taking Hydrocodone may cause constipation. Discuss with your doctor the changes you need to make in your diet to avoid constipation.
- Hydrocodone should not be taken by a pregnant woman as it may make the baby dependent on the drug. It may cause severe and dangerous withdrawal symptoms in the baby. If you take this medicine during pregnancy, the baby may need medical treatment.
- This medicine should not be taken by breastfeeding women as it may pass into breast milk and cause serious side effects like difficulty breathing or extreme drowsiness in the baby.
- Hydrocodone may reduce fertility in both men and women. Therefore, you should discuss it with your doctor before taking this medicine.
- As this medicine may cause extreme dizziness, you should avoid getting involved in activities that require alertness, such as driving a car or working on a piece of machinery.
- Children younger than six years of age are not recommended to use Hydrocodone as it may increase the risk of severe side effects like shallow or slow breathing.
Hydrocodone may have adverse drug reactions when taken along with an MAO inhibitor. You should avoid taking this medicine if you are using or have used an MAO inhibitor in the past 14 days. Some examples of MAO inhibitors are linezolid (Zyvox), isocarboxazid (Marplan), selegiline (Eldepryl), phenelzine (Nardil), tranylcypromine (Parnate).
Before taking this medicine, make sure to tell your doctor if you have a medical history of any of the following conditions:
- seizures or epilepsy
- a head injury, brain tumour
- history of drug or alcohol addiction, or mental illness
- low blood pressure problem
- difficulty in urinating or other urination problems
- lung disease
- liver or kidney disease
- asthma or any breathing problem
- any blockage, narrowing of stomach or intestines or paralytic ileus it is a condition in which digested food does not move through the intestines
- colon or oesophageal cancer
- problems with pancreas, gallbladder, or thyroid
- a heart rhythm disorder called long QT syndrome (a condition that increases the risk of an irregular heartbeat that may cause fainting or even sudden death)
Side Effects Caused By Hydrocodone
Hydrocodone may cause several side effects. Some common and manageable side effects may include unusual tiredness, dizziness, sweating, loss of appetite, feeling sick or nausea, extreme weakness, diarrhoea, dry mouth or increased saliva, aggressiveness, difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep, change in behaviour, headache, difficulty in urinating, frequent and painful urination, muscular pain, vomiting, pain in back, confusion or nervousness, agitation, etc.
It may cause some serious side effects, which may include chest pain, hallucinations, lack of coordination, hoarseness, tremors, irregular heartbeat, swelling of eyes, face, lips, tongue, or throat, difficulty breathing or swallowing, itching or skin allergies including rashes or hives. If you notice any severe or unusual symptoms, you should call your doctor right away.